sexta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2007

'Those who thought I wouldn’t survive in office for more than 3 months are now courting me'

By CHIDI OBINECHE Thursday, February 22, 2007
Kogi State governor, Alhaji Ibrahim Idris, says his initial antagonists in office have turned round to embrace him, having come to know much about him.

Idris, who already has the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) ticket in his kitty for the April 14, 2007 elections, believes that this turn around in his relationship with the people puts him in good stead for a second term in office.

Fielding question from journalists in Lagos, Gov. Idris revealed that when he came into office in 2003, some skeptics didn’t give him a chance. They felt he might not run the state for even three months. Having put them to shame, he is now marching assuredly with the people, doling out goodies for them and enjoying their goodwill, to the extent that he now contends that a gang up of all the parties cannot truncate his comeback bid.

"Even if all the parties come together against PDP, I am assuring you that by God’s grace, we will kick all of them out," he says.

Congratulations for the survival of your daughters in the ADC crash. What is your experience as far as the crash is concerned?

You may not believe it even when I heard about the crash and I was made to believe that my three daughters were on the plane, I was not moved at all because I had confidence that my daughters would be okay. Even after I heard that the plane caught fire in the air, I told my son who was with me that my conscience told me that every thing was okay because I didn’t see any reason my three daughters would die in a plane crash. I found it so difficult to believe.

After being the governor of Kogi State for three years, what have been the challenges? Now that you are contesting for the second time, what are your priorities for the state if elected for the second term?

You have to know that I came from the private sector into the public service. There are two different things. The unfortunate part of it is that when people in the private sector want anything done, it is done immediately because they are always looking forward to the result. That has always been my lifestyle from the beginning.

When I came in, I didn’t find it easy at all with the civil service because things refused to work the way I wanted it and that meant I had to do something. I said that if I had to take the challenge by fighting or by being too hard, I might not get the result, I had to educate them on how I wanted my administration to run. It took me some time, but I was fortunate to get their cooperation and they have adjusted. For instance, on my assumption of office, I discovered that if an approval was given for money to be disbursed, it doesn’t come out on time. I told them I would not take that nonsense and I told them that henceforth any approval must not take more than three days.

Since then and up till now, some even took a day, but the highest is two days and there are so many things I met on ground that were not supposed to be. I believe in encouraging the workers, making them feel they are part of me and I had to carry them along and also give them their due respect and what they are supposed to have by right, like salaries, benefits and so on. As soon as that is done, they will be happy. If it has always been so in the private sector, I am sure it could be so in the civil service and that is why I have been getting on with them.

When you came into office, there were backlog of loans and emoluments left by the former administration. How have you been able to pay as well as embark on development projects?

It has not been easy actually, because as I am talking to you, I am still paying the last loan that my predecessor took, about N2 billion. I was the one that paid off that loan and they initially asked me to pay about N1.4 billion as interest. I told them no, that I was not going to pay because it seemed that there were some plans to defraud the government. If not, why was it not inclusive while they were taken from the allocation? I decided that I was not going to pay. Of course, I went to court and instead of paying N1.4 billion, they brought it down to N620,000, which I am still paying up till now. I am paying N50 to N100 million every month to clear that one.

Beside that, there are other debts that have been hanging on us. Government is a continuous exercise. You continue to do the little you can and squeeze out again for development. Naturally in government, everybody expects you to do something. They want to see your achievements .

Where this is not there, they would feel you have done nothing. Nobody would ask you whether you have the money or not or whether you use the money in paying debt; nobody cares what you have been able to do as at the time in question. I am happy that I have been able to manage the resources available and I have been careful and making sure that every thing is in place just as I did in my private business.

You just secured the ticket for the second term. How do you see Kogi politics in the past three years as governor?

Many people outside Kogi politics feel people in Kogi fight themselves, probably that might be the experience of people who are not within, but it is not so. I think there are problems everywhere, but I believe that our own is well managed. If not, it could escalate like other people’s. I believe for you to have people rooting for you, first of all you must show good example. You must earn their feeling trust and by the time you are able to win their hearts, whatever you tell them, they would believe. Initially, it was not easy because the people needed to understand and some people felt I would not handle or administer the state for even three months.

I am sure most of them are surprised and they couldn’t believe what they have seen. I have never been a failure and I would never be a failure I look at it as a challenge not only from God but even from the people who feel I have been asked to come and do these things for them. I believe that God has a hand in it. I always have that at the back of my mind. I believe that after the first and second year, most of the people must have been known the kind of person I am. They are now convinced that I am not somebody they need to fight.

All of them decided to work with me. I am happy and grateful that most of them who were not with me before eventually came in, and they became my best supporters. I don’t see Kogi State as a state that is volatile. The secret behind it is patience and tolerance. If you are able to have these two qualities, you have no problem because everything will come and it will pass.

Recently, it was learnt that the EFCC officials were here in Kogi. So, what is the latest on this?

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), as far as I am concerned, is a blessing to me because I know there are so many petitions, not only in Kogi but in so many other states and I am sure they have visited all the states in Nigeria and I am looking forward that they should visit us too, so that we see whether we are doing the right thing. When I learnt they invited a few people, I said fine. Let them come and ask us what these people petitioned about, whether it was true or lies. I think it is only in Kogi State where the people invited by EFCC were discharged the same day. I believe it is the right thing because they are doing their job.

For example, they said the Meme Bridge was built for N1.5 billion which is not true, it is just N208 million. All these claims are not true. So, you can see how they magnify the whole thing. To me, EFCC is a blessing because I would be clear myself and I am sure that after this, they will know that there are states with transparent dealings. I am happy with it because I want to be checked to ascertain my deed. Whoever you are, if there are no checks and balances, you may loose. Let us see it as something good for the whole country and even for us that are governors.

In 2003, it is ANPP and PDP that contested. This time, we have ANPP, AC alliance PDP and others. What are your chances in the forthcoming elections?

As far as I am concerned, ANPP and AC, are no threat. They are no threat at all, because already we are holding the crown and we are still holding the public, not because we are PDP, but because of what we have been able to do for the people. We must know that it is the people who decides who to serve them and if people have seen what the PDP government has done compared with what ANPP has done, they would make up their minds on who should be there. I am not bothered at all. There must be a contest and when the day comes, we all go to the polls and then we see who is more popular. Even if all the parties come together against PDP, I am assuring you that by God’s grace, we will knock all of them out.

There has been call for power shift. What is your stand on it?

Power shift is in order. It will be wrong for anybody to say there won’t be power rotation and as far as I am concerned, I am not part of it. I am one of those who are clamouring for power shift for peace to reign in any state or in any country and it has happened in Nigeria. Those days, northerners believed power must never leave the North. Nobody believed it would happen, but if it happened and it has gone to the South West and it would still go to the South-east. It is our right that any other region must have a taste of power. We must take note of what is happening in Nigeria. Power would return to the North. Next time it should go back to the South.

This will bring about peace and harmony. The same thing should happen in Kogi State among the three senatorial districts we have. I am in support of this and I am working towards it.

Distribution of projects

Why should I give people basic amenities because they did not vote for me? Why? Any leader who does that is a selfish leader and I don’t call that person a leader. I must be fair and ensure justice in all I do. Whatever I have done for East, where I come from, is what I will do in other zones. For example, roads are scattered all over the place; I never concentrated them in any zone. Water and school are evenly distributed. For instance, Okene didn’t vote for me, that does not gives me the power to neglect them. No, I can’t do that because Okene is part of my place, and they are part of me.

New university

Education is our backbone. In fact, it is better to give your children education than money. I take education as a priority. As at today, I doubt if there is any state, which can compete with Kogi. Though they say I am the first in North/West and third in the whole Nigeria, I doubt if there is any state that will compete with me. When I came in the university was a glorified secondary school. I knew what it means to the people of Kogi State. I went to the university personally to confirm what the problem was. I promised that before the end of the year, most of the courses would have been accredited. Today, I am proud and happy and I thank God to have fulfilled my promise. For now, we have 15 courses accredited.

Most states of the federation disputed the figures given to them by the recent census in the country. Would you say they got the right figure in Kogi State?

I believe we worked hard to ensure everybody was counted. I have the feelings that most of the people were counted. I believe that the people should do their job well and make sure that all that were counted were actually featured. Actually, we have not been able to get the breakdown to know precisely, what we have in different senatorial districts. Maybe that would tell us whether they got the actual figure.

Nigerians have expressed doubt about the sincerity of INEC, ahead of the 2007 elections. Most people felt it might not be free and fair. Are you worried about it especially when people feel that forces in Aso Rock are controlling INEC?

I am not worried. Why won’t they conduct free and fair election? Again, what would they gain in causing problem in Nigeria. As far as I am concerned, I don’t believe that they are being controlled or somebody somewhere is teleguiding them. I am sure they know what they are doing.

What is your message to the Kogi citizens?

My message is that so far so good. It has been quite good. Even if you notice the primaries we had, it was one of the best primaries we had in Nigeria and that is a pointer that we are getting better. I believe that elections in Kogi State will be free and fair. People now know that there is no need for violence. I believe it is going to be peaceful.

Nenhum comentário: